Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Easy Chopped Liver

EASY Chopped Liver -- it really can't get any easier. Really!

Oy. So here I am trying to eat and cook healthy and my husband proudly presents me with a pound of chicken livers - on clearance- as he returned from shopping. It amazes me how cheap chicken livers are.

"So would you like me to make you chopped liver?" 

livers broiling







What I used:
1 pound Kosher chicken livers
3 hard boiled eggs
3 medium red onions, sliced
1/2 tsp salt
Chicken broth or oil for sauté

Heat oven to Broil.
Start boiling your eggs.
Place tin foil or parchment paper on your baking sheet and then spread out the chicken livers so that each one is spread out and does not overlap the others.

I like to sprinkle kosher or sea salt on top of the raw livers. Medium broil your livers on both sides. Keep an eye on them. They are done when they are no longer oozing 'red' and a slightly pasty colour.
In the meantime sauté your onions until they are translucent. I sauté with chicken broth and a little olive oil (maybe 1 tbsp) and NOT the large amount of oil usually called for. I pour in enough broth to cover the bottom of my frying pan, and add more if necessary.

Into the meat grinder I put my livers, eggs and onions. They will mix together easily.

TIP - I added the third onion to increase the moistness of the dish. It really makes a huge difference and I feel much better knowing I was able to drastically reduce the fat content. It is also much lower in sodium. 


I didn't add any salt afterwards, but by all means add salt.
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment